Regional Campus: Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS)
Posting Number: 17ST1470
Job Type: Full Time
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking a Director of Public and Media Relations for Rutgers University Marking and Communications. Under the direction of the Vice Chancellor for Rutgers-New Brunswick and Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences Communications, the Director of Public and Media Relations is responsible for the development and execution of messaging, communication strategies, procedures and plans for effectively advancing Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS) through news, social media and digital media. The Director of Public and Media Relations is responsible for:
- Developing media and communications strategies that best promote the work done by RBHS faculty, staff and students.
- Serving as the primary spokesperson between RBHS and the media.
- Managing issues and crisis communications for RBHS.
- Handling emergency communications planning and implementation for RBHS.
- Developing internal messaging and communications channels to effectively communicate important information to RBHS faculty, staff, students and other key stakeholders.
- Managing the day-to-day operations and staff of the Office of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences Communications.
- Working collaboratively with communicators across RBHS and Rutgers-New Brunswick to implement coordinated communications plans.
Through vision and achievement of goals, the Director will promote key messages and content in ways that generate maximum positive exposure and effectively meet strategic goals.
This position will also work closely with colleagues in the Department of University Communications and Marketing on high-profile or sensitive issues regarding RBHS that affect the overall University brand or reputation. The Director must possess a clear understanding of University-wide policies and the Rutgers visual identity system.
Home Location Campus: Rutgers University-Newark
Experience in communications at an academic health center or related institution of higher education strongly preferred, but not required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Requires a demonstrated ability to persuasively market and promote stories; experience with media placement; strong media contacts; skills in planning; organizing, integrating information; making decisions; attaining results; and rewarding and motivating staff.
Also requires excellent communication skills with the ability to adapt writing for print or electronic media; and computer literacy to include news sources, and general publications specific software.
Applicants must have a working knowledge of HIPAA regulations.
A valid driver's license required. Must be willing to use personal vehicle and to travel out of town for university business.
Department: UCM-Media Relations-Z26907
Must be available at nights and on weekends as needed.